It’s fun to live in a house, but at the same time it implies a lot of work. It is true that there is more space to enjoy, and you do not need to worry about depositing things, as in most cases, there is room for everything. Unfortunately, this also means more mess, thus more time spent cleaning. Fortunately, it is totally worth it when you can go upstairs and don’t think about the kids disturbing the neighbors when they play. The yard definitely does not make an exception. Whether is placed in the front or in the back of the house, it must look neat.
In order to achieve a well cut grass, but also to ease your work you must consider purchasing the best string trimmer. There are many products available on the market so it can be hard to find the right one for you. However, this does not mean that you must choose the first product that you see as you may end up with an inefficient tool. The first step in finding the best string trimmer is to analyze your needs. This implies calculating the area that needs to be cleared and see whether weed or grass is predominant. The motor of the tool you select must be proportional with the time you estimate to finish the job.
Types of String Trimmers
The best weed eater is the one that helps you finish the job fast and effectively. There are three main types of such trimmers available on the market:
- Electric string trimmers;
- Gas-powered string trimmers;
- Trimmer mowers
Electric string trimmers are known to be the lightest on the market. They represent an optimum purchase for yards covered with soft grass. There are two types of such trimmers: corded and cordless. The corded ones assure constant power, but require a certain extension cord. Make sure that you check the manufacturer recommendations and see if the design is compatible with the existent electric system.
Cordless trimmers are a better choice if you own a big yard. They can be successfully used even in small gardens to cut the grass between the trees. Their main quality is the fact that they ensure better mobility. You are not restricted to the dimensions of the cord or to the placement of the power outlet.
Gas-powered string trimmers are a better choice for large yards. They can handle tough grass and weeds with greater ease thanks to their powerful motor. Furthermore, they assure free movement and can be used for a longer period of time without worrying that they may burn.
An interesting fact regarding gas-powered trimmers is the way they get turned on. It is important to know that there are two models available. The first one includes a pull-start system and can be operated as soon as you take it off the box. The second model requires a powered device in order to start. It is sold separately, and that implies some extra costs. Remember to consider these aspects in order to avoid unwanted surprises.
Trimmer mowers represent an optimum purchase if your yard includes many difficult to reach areas. They are larger, and the trimmer’s head is mounted on a body with wheels. Such devices operate with gas and provide a better mobility. They are more efficient in cutting unwanted weeds. Furthermore, the cutting swath is wider.
How to Choose the Cutting Swath
The best string trimmer for you is the one that has an optimum cutting swath for the type of yard you own. It is important to know that there are different levels of use, so make sure that the model you choose fits your purposes.
A cutting swath of 10” to 12” is the perfect choice if your yard is small, as it was specially designed for light use. If you need to mow the grass regularly, then a clever choice would be the 14” to 15” cutting swath. Large yards with garden definitely require a heavy-duty use. This means that the cutting swath must have at least 17” in order to avoid the unpleasant surprise of burning a brand-new string trimmer.
Main Features of Best String Trimmers
The features of a certain model of string trimmers are essential when making such a purchase. In order to be able to interpret them correctly, check out the information presented below:
- The 2-cycle engine indicator means that the trimmer needs a mixture of oil and gasoline in order to be operational;
- The 4-cycle engine indicates that the trimmer works either on gas or electric power, without needing to create any type of mixture;
- A pull-start trimmer that includes a start-assist makes it easier to crank;
- If you own a tight yard, then you need a trimmer that can be controlled with ease; try the curved shaft design in this case;
- Tall users will need to look for straight shaft trimmers; they are also efficient in reaching tight spaces such as areas under the shrubs, decks or benches;
- If the features include an adjustable shaft it means that the model can be adjusted according to your height; it is advisable to look for a design that includes this feature otherwise the trimmer will turn out to be pretty hard to use;
- If you want to switch easily from trimmer to edge than you need a model that is edger-compatible; it may also include wheels for an easier use;
- Trimmers with attachment-capable features mean that they can support different accessories, such as brush cutter, blower, pole saw, hedge trimmer and even cultivator;
- A common feature of electric trimmers is the single-line heads;
- In order to tackle heavier jobs, make sure that the trimmer includes a dual-line heads feature as it puts more cutting line on stubborn and unaesthetic weeds;
- If you do not want to complicate yourself when inserting a new line, make sure you choose a design with fast-loading spools as it does not require to remove the spool;
- If you want to be able to control the power level, then the variable speed control is the right option.
As it can be seen, there are many aspects that you need to consider when purchasing the best string trimmer. However, if you take the adequate time in order to analyze your needs and compare them with the features included, then you will definitely enjoy your device for a long period of time.